Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Instructional - Guide to the Booher Library for Southwest Faculty: General FAQs

FAQs for faculty

How do I get in touch with the library?

Email us at, call us at 512-478-5212, or stop by when we're open at 509 Rathervue Place.

Does the library have books available while Booher Library is under renovation?

We have a small collection of print books on campus, and we are still purchasing some books in print. The rest of our print books are in storage and unavailable. We have many, many ebooks and electronic resources available. We also have borrowing privileges at the nearby Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary library and the UT Libraries. Use the library's discovery tool, Seeker, to search for items. Once you find what you need, use this form to submit your request. Don't see what you need? Write us at and describe what you are looking for.

How do I access Booher Library's ebooks and other electronic resources from my device(s)?

Log into your Seminary of the Southwest Google account, log out of all other Google accounts, and then follow these instructions.

I'm having trouble using the library's discovery tool, Seeker. Can you help?

Yes, please take a look at our Seeker tutorials and reach out to us if you need any more assistance.  

A book I need is not in your collection. What now?

Write us at with information about the book and a link to it on the web, if possible. We may be able to borrow it from the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary for you. We may interlibrary loan (ILL) it for you. We may, in consultation with the collection development policy, choose to buy it for the Booher Library collection and lend it to you.

What does "APTS" and "SSW" mean?

APTS is the acronym for Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, and SSW stands for Seminary of the Southwest. APTS is located right around the corner from us. The APTS library is called the Wright Learning and Information Center. APTS's library and our library share a library catalog, so when you use Seeker to look for library resources, you will see our library listed as "SSW" and the Wright Learning and Information Center listed as "APTS."

Can I borrow books from APTS?

Yes! You can walk over there and check books out yourself, or you can request the library staff retrieve them for you. Use this form to submit your request, or email If you visit APTS yourself, bring your SSW ID card.

Can I use APTS's electronic resources?

Yes, but only by visiting Wright Learning and Information Center in person and using the e-resources while you are there. 

How does Interlibrary Loan (ILL) work?

Read all about ILL services on the Interlibrary Loan LibGuide.

May I suggest titles for you to purchase for the library collection?

Yes! Please do. Email us the details at And if you are published or are about to be, please let us know.

I'm making a Populi page for my course. How can the library help me?

We have an entire page dedicated to these Populi FAQs. Read more here!

What is a LibGuide?

A LibGuide is an online platform used to organize and disseminate useful information. This guide you are reading is an example of a LibGuide. Read more about LibGuides here

Are there printers and scanners in the library?

Yes. If you want to use them yourself, feel free to come on by.  

What are the library's policies?

Library policies were updated in 2022 and are now housed in one document: The Booher Library Policies. It includes the library's collection development policy.

We also steward the Copyright Policy, which we highly recommend all professors read.

How do I get a Booher Library card?

Your Seminary of the Southwest ID card serves as your Booher Library card. We use it to check out physical material to you. Your library card does not help you access e-resources. To access e-resources, read our Accessing eResources LibGuide.

What other libraries can I use?

You are surrounded by amazing libraries in Austin! Read all about your access to area libraries on this guide

I'm about to publish an article in a scholarly journal that is not open access. What do I need to know?

Your institution, Seminary of the Southwest, will likely have to pay to access the article you wrote, and the cost to do that may be prohibitive. If you are not publishing in an open access journal, please consider asking the scholarly publisher if you can retain the copyright to your own work. It is now common for publishers to allow you to do this in either a pre-print or post-print copy. The more authors that ask for this right, the more pressure there is on publishers to grant this right to scholars.

Retaining the copyright to your work means you'd have the authority to allow Southwest to, one day, place the article in an institutional repository which will help your article find readers and help bring attention to the scholarship happening here at Southwest. We do not yet have an institutional repository, but we are actively seeking ways to begin one. Here's a Scientific American blog post that describes this in more detail, written by a librarian that works at SUNY Geneseo.

I need assistance with my scholarly or creative writing. Can the library help?

No, for that we recommend you contact our colleagues in Southwest's Center for Writing and Creative Expression. They are the experts in this area!

I have a question and I don't know who to ask. Can you help?

Yes, we are happy to refer you to the right person to bring your question to. Ask away! 

Can I have a personal consultation with a librarian?

Yes. Email us at to schedule an appointment and we will be glad to give you personalized library instruction. 

Copyright Policy

If you are teaching at Southwest, or supervising a Research Assistant, we highly recommend you read the seminary's Copyright Policy. It will help you understand what you can scan and share, what is too much to scan, and why you should never email PDFs of copyrighted material to others. 

How to Contact the Librarians

Have a question for the librarians? Please email us at

Photo depicts a place to sit in the Deanery, near the new book section in the sunroom on the second floor. Photo credit: Alison Poage

Booher Library Renovation

Photo depicts the Booher Library renovation on 7-7-2022. Photo credit: Alison Poage